My good mate Tony bought himself this neat as a pin 95 model Mazda 626 as a daily driver last year. It’s a really nice little car for the money and he’d always wanted to spec the interior up and get some leather seats and door cards in the cabin.
After some searching he located a full interior for a steal and made it happen. It’s fair to say that what he has now is a stand out simple vehicle with the comfort and features required by that of a regal gentleman.
It was at this point that a spanner was some what thrown in the works. What we see before us is a compete bolt in upgrade with no modifications required. It was as simple as testing and running a multimeter accross the seat using a diagram I’d sourced online to ensure we had everything we needed without running any new wiring.
After checking the kick label fuse box it was seen that the wiring already existed for the seat motors with just a plug and play installation. Awesome!
It was with great anticipation that we plugged the seat into the loom and fired it up. The front and rear tilt on the seat base worked a treat but unfortunately the motor that slides the seat on its rails back and forth wasn’t alive at all.
It was at this point that beer was purchased and the disassembly of the network of pulleys, gears, cogs, magnets and grease ensued.
It was awesome to pull the motor down completely to see how everything worked inside. We cleaned the contacts up as they were covered in grease. Unfortunately, the motor was good for spares only and that’s where out little project stopped. You could say that we didn’t succeed. But really, we did. There was alot of learning done about how these motors work and also how complex something like this can be! I really was satisfied.
We will finish this off with a new motor in the coming weeks. It was nice to steer away from Toyotas for a brief moment to experience what else is out there.