A fairly common issue with a change in suspension can be the load generated on other components. As a result of this load, parts can be placed on their limits and in longer terms, become damaged or completely let go. I discovered that the tailshaft boot on my AE95 had let go in quite dramatic fashion, with a large gash in the boot and grease all over the tailshaft, exhaust and undercarriage.
With a car like an AE95, things can sometimes be a hassle to source, especially a part that you don’t commonly hear of letting go such as the tailshaft boot. I discovered through a good bloke that follows the facebook page via a contact in spare parts at Toyota, that the part was discontinued some years ago – bugger! Luckily a cluey bloke, Julian found me a non-genuine kit on eBay Australia for just $21.00aud Shipped.
Search for “APBT-AP999_XSDD”
Feedback so far after installation is that the kit is quite good and offers a new gasket and cir-clip.
The tailshaft is best removed from the car to perform the seal replacement if you are working without a hoist. It’s best to crack the allen key headed bolts that fasten the shaft cup into place on the car as you won’t have the trouble of the shaft turning whilst trying to get them out on the bench. Once out it was very clear where things had gone bad when inspecting the boot on the bench.
Once the bolts are out there may be a little bit of resistance from the cup piece but a little tap tapperoo will sort that out, don’t forget the little clamp on the snout of the seal either!
Once cracked open, you will need to angle the shaft as much as possible to allow the bearings in their holder to come loose and allow it out, making it two separate pieces completely. The amount of duck butter that is presented to the bench and makes it’s way into every place you don’t want it to is immense, so travel heavy on the rags and make sure they are ready to go when you split the shaft – There’s your warning!
You will need to get the bearing housing piece off the shaft to remove the old boot and fit the new one, This is secured by a small circlip that isn’t terribly hard to remove – The kit also comes with a fresh clip so you can worry less about damaging what’s there removing it. One thing to note here is to try not to mark or score any part of the shaft as it can and will have an effect on balance.
At this stage, if you aren’t as greased up as Willy on the Simpsons you’re doing it wrong! Remove all of the old grease and place some new stuff on the shaft and seal to allow it to slide into it’s home with ease. The old seal will happily slide off the shaft and the new unit along with its gasket can be installed. Once the seal is in place, throw the clamp over the snout and tighten it down.
Throw enough grease in to keep the whole show happy and move the bearings around and ensure they are well coated. I used a Fuchs CV Joint Grease:
At this point you will need to get the 6 bearings into their housing and fiddle and swear at them until they go home! The best method I found was this one:
The second video is especially helpful and gives a good insight into the way to get the bearings back in with ease.
At this stage, placing the fasteners back into place will require some care, you will need to get them done up in an even cross pattern until they bit to ensure the shaft is evenly fixed back in.
Another good lesson here is to torque the bolts right up when the shaft is back on the car as you will have the leverage to get them done right up without using a vice on the bench etc – even easier on a hoist.
Make sure the shaft goes in the same way it came out and you should be winning!
This isn’t actually a hard task but you will need to be patient and prepare for the grease explosion.
Another worthy note is that I discovered Gen 1 RAV4 parts look identical!!
There is a YouTube video in the works that is far for informative than this post, I will link it here when it is uploaded!
Until Next Time!